« Home | More » | Thinking about food » | Welcome! » | » 

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 

Let's talk about one of my fourth grade classes...

I have two fourth grade classes. One of them is my favorite class overall. The other is probably the most interesting and unpredictable class overall. One of the girls tells me, at least once a week, something about being fat. Either her brother thinks I'm fat (he's in my sixth grade class), or she is pounding my leg from underneath the table telling me it's big (her crawling on the floor is a very regular occurence), and then lately she seems to have become obsessed with my butt. Yesterday as I walked into class, she was walking behind me smacking me repeatedly on the butt. I tried to figure out exactly what she was doing, and perhaps also why, but she just laughed and crawled under the table (see what I mean?). Then today as I was releasing my winter intensive class she came into the classroom I was in and walked directly into my backside. I won't go into further explanation as to what she did next, but it was definitely a violation of my personal space and person. What I'm saying may make her sound evil, but she really isn't at all. She's just a very hyper, very needing-attention girl.

Another interesting thing happened yesterday. The class has seven students: five girls and two boys. I know for a fact that I am not the first white girl these girls have seen before, but the last two times I've been teaching them, they completely zone out and seem to be utterly fascinated by some aspect of me. Yesterday the two girls sitting closest to me started touching my hair, pointing at my earrings (while uttering some Korean word entirely unknown to me), and then (this was just it for me)....one of the girls stuck her finger in my chin crack. Perhaps the chin crack could more appropriately be called a chin "dip." Nonetheless, they (invaded my personal space) and were like, "Ahhh....cute! Very cute!" Thanks for noticing...but my chin crack/dip has absolutely nothing to do with the story I am seriously attempting to persuade you to read. Thanks very much.

The class is really quite delightful, no matter how I may make it sound. A bit frustrating, perhaps...but delightful overall. I learned in Israel how important, no....vital it is to not be self-conscious when I am around kids. They also point out the moles/freckles on my face. Yet again, thanks for noticing. But generally....usually, we accomplish what we are supposed to accomplish. I'm not supposed to show my tattoos, which is easy now since it is cold and I'm always wearing long sleeves. I have to be careful what jackets/sweaters/sweatshirts I wear though, because two of my students saw part of one the other day. It was one time when I was extremely grateful for their especially short attention span. I distracted them and they forgot.

Ah...did I mention that I went to Japan last week? For reasons still unknown to me, I had to go to Japan to get my Korean work visa. It was actually last Tuesday (the 18th). The school arranged the flight and everything. Aside from the actual hassle of the getting up early to take the bus to the airport and the flights and such, it was quite easy and nearly enjoyable. Since English teachers are a hot commodity and also sort of in abundance here, there were actually five other teachers on the same flights as me. Three of us ended up meeting up in the train to the embassy and spent the rest of the day together. It was quite an experience, and we were quite the group. Before I went though, it was so funny...Kylie, one of the other foreign teachers was in my apartment talking to me and she said, "Have fun in Japan tomorrow," as she was walking out the door. It was entirely surreal. One of those moments where I realized that God's plan is so infinitely beyond what I can think or imagine. A year ago I certainly could not even begin to fathom that I would be in Korea, taking a quick little day trip to Japan. The trip was uneventful and overall enjoyable. I was able to add to my collections. I think most people have something they collect from whatever travels they undertake. I have two, though only one is really for me. I've been collecting Diet Coke labels in other languages since I was in Israel. It's tragic that I forgot to get one from a store near my school in Jaffa that would've been in Arabic. Nonetheless, I have Hebrew, Korean, and now...one from Japan. It's a bit bizarre, perhaps, but interesting to me nonetheless. The other thing I collect is coins from other countries, but that's really more for my niece and nephew than for me.

I suppose I've rambled on enough for now. I might write more later during a break, but (believe it or not) I think I might have run out of things to say. We'll see. Thanks for reading, everyone. :) And also, I fixed it so anyone can comment, not just members. That's all - love you all!

You know, I was thinking yesterday that I wanted to strangle some of the kids in my first class...now I have a little more perspective. LOL! Sure, they may not practice often, and some of them can't seem to retain instruction for more than 15 seconds, but at least I was raised in the same culture. However, should they start crawling around on the floor or coming into my personal bubble, I reserve the right to throw my baton at them and run in the opposite direction. :)

Love ya!

Jenni

I find myself wanting to slap the 26 kids that I have. HAHA, but that's pretty sad...since I'm a social worker and technically am supposed to be protecting the children from getting beatings...haha but that doesn't matter. Sometimes I get so frusterated (like when a 9 year old child is living with his grandmother and tells me he WANTS to be put into foster care system) I wanna just haul out and beat him.

keep up the good work Teresa!

--Bethany

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health