« Home | Group picture...the JM family (most of it, anyway)  » | This is the end of the bobsled ride, with Mr. Moon... » | Jenny and I on our way up to the bobsled ride. Jen... » | June, Joan, me, Kylie, and Donovan. That's a fount... » | These things are quite clever. You put in 1,000 wo... » | Kylie and Donovan do NOT ride rides, EVER. Somehow... » | This is the bear blowing bubbles in the water - it... » | There was a shot before this one, before the bus h... » | No zoom here, just so you know. I mean, there was ... » | Everland » 

Thursday, May 19, 2005 

Kimchi

I'm so anal that I usually have to change the times so they're accurate when I post pictures, but I'm too lazy and tired to do that tonight. And a brief note about Kimchi - just to reiterate an old point and share some new information. The name of the blog is due to my initial unpleasant experience with kimchi, which is a fermented cabbage dish. There are loads of types of kimchi, with the most popular/regular being the red variety that is extremely spicy (at least to this mouth it usually is). Aaron made a good point this weekend, saying that the taste of kimchi runs on a scale from spicy to rancid. And it's true. Sometimes the kimchi just tastes like it has passed the point of being yummy and fermented, and it just tastes gross. I really detested it. Now, however, it's not so bad. I prefer radish kimchi to cabbage kimchi, and I don't eat it very frequently, but still. In some bizarre (and possibly imagined) way, my journey from "I hate kimchi" to "It's not so bad," to "This kimchi is really good!" seems to correlate to my getting comfortable and somewhat established here. I've now officially been here for as long as I was in Israel - a little longer, even, and have every intention of staying. There's a lot about Korea that I don't get and that sometimes drives me crazy, but there's a lot more good stuff. (And just on an aside here, Seoul is beautiful in the spring. I've never lived somewhere that has four seasons before, and I'm loving it! After the cherry blossoms, the whole city just turned green and lush and there are flowers everywhere. It's very pretty.)

I am going to the doctor in the morning and, if all goes as expected, will have the test done on my stomach Saturday. I may or may not have a Korean-speaking person going with me, which makes me worried enough to cry, but I need to get it done, and the sooner the better. I'll let you all know how it goes, but please pray for me if you think about it. I'm nearly certain they won't find anything, that's not what I'm concerned about. I just don't want to do it. I have to meet Jenny early in the morning though, so I'm off to bed. Night!

thanks for the explanation on kimchi. for some reason for the past few weeks when i heard something i don't like i say in my mind in a bruce lee chinese accent kind of way) kimchi, not for me.

That's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard!...and inspiring. I'll try to collect some interesting Korean expressions and/or insults to share.

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health