« Home | This is a picture from the June National Geographi... » | Splurge » | Meet Claude » | Thoroughly adorable » | This is me getting creative - the purple blanket i... » | This was one of the first pictures taken during th... » | I....hate....animals » | What a day... » | Lottie's birthday! » | Happy Birthday dear Lottie....happy birthday to you! » 

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 

Animal Sounds and Cultural Beliefs

An American dog says: bark bark, woof woof, arf, arf, etc.
A Korean dog says: mung mung
(I've known this one for some time now. There have been times when I've been walking around the lake with Daive and heard small kids yelling, in varying states of panic, "Mung, Mung, MUNG!")

An American cat says: meow meow
A Korean cat says yow, yow

An American pig says oink oink
A Korean pig says gul, gul (I may have confused this with the Korean cow sound, not 100% sure)

An American frog says ribbet ribbet
A Korean frog says gaggle gaggle


Interesting cultural beliefs:

1. If you sleep in a room with all doors and windows closed and an electric fan on, you will die.

2. If you walk in the rain without an umbrella, your hair will fall out.
- Interesting story - Jenny told me this Friday morning but I didn't believe her. Then yesterday it stared raining during my fourth grade class (which has a window facing the street). They were all groaning and moaning because of the rain, and I told them that I liked rain. They yelled a little about that, and then started gesturing that rain makes your hair fall out. They even drew a before and after picture on the white board for me - me with hair before walking in the rain and a bald me (complete with a HUGE forehead) after walking in the rain.

3. You cannot/really should not/don't think about writing someone's name in red. It either means that you want them to die or that they will die soon - it's really not good either way. I don't think I've done this at all, actually...but I've come close a few times.

Sorry for the lack of input. Sad to say, Melissa left this week to go back to the States, so we've been working ten to twelve hour days at work. By the time I get home I'm so exhausted I can barely walk the dog or fix my dinner. On that note, I should have been asleep at least an hour ago. Night.

Those are fantastic...I really like the one about the fan...means I've been walking around dead for years...which explains a lot!

Hope you are well! I finally updated my blog tonight...and added lots of pics for everyone's viewing pleasure! Take care! Love and miss you!

JoAnna

Okay, so what's the difference between going out in the rain and taking a shower?

That's a very good question. When I first told Kylie and Donovan about it, Donovan asked if it had anything to do with the acid rain that must fall in Seoul, given the air pollution here. Quite funny...but I'm pretty sure it's an entire-Korea thing.

What do those Koreans say when you tell them you have walked in the rain AND slept ina room with a fan with the windows and doors shut? You must be a walking miracle to them. I'm surprised they don't worship you-hehe
-Bethany

so i'm guessing you don't grade your papers in red ink? i didn't know teachers were allowed to use anything else.

Very impressive and useful. Thank you.

Actually... I've heard the bit about the rain and hair damage as well - and it WAS explained to me that it was due to the pollution / acid rain.

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health