« Home | So I was just reading the news, and the picture be... » | Living in a foreign country makes one appreciate t... » | I feel like I've been marinating all day in my own... » | The New Me » | Misc. Christmas Pictures » | Decorating Christmas Cookies on Christmas Eve, Part 2 » | Decorating Christmas Cookies on Christmas Eve » | I really never do learn... Part Two » | I will return to the toilet saga (which, just to t... » | I really never do learn... » 

Monday, January 22, 2007 

My friend YoonHo was over Saturday night, and we were watching movies together. This is how it went:

Him: The couch is shaking.
Me: That's not you doing that?!
Him: It's not you?!?

And then there was silence, because everything started to shake. In a Jurassic-Park-meets-the-Day-After-Tomorrow moment, I looked over to see the diet coke sloshing around. Then the doors to the living room started to rattle. Daive stood up (well, woke up, then stood up) and started to growl.

It was an earthquake!! An earthquake hit the other side of the peninsula, and over here in Seoul we got just an itty-bitty taste of it. It was the first time I've experienced anything remotely earthquake-ish, and I now understand why they are terrifying.

Actually, right after it happened, I just sat on the couch feeling mostly freaked out. YoonHo got up and (I'm assuming) looked out the window. I'm not sure what he was looking for or expecting to see. He came back in the room and I said, "That had to've been an earthquake, right?" To which he replied, "Or the building is collapsing." Ack! Why would you even SAY that? So then I ran to look out the window, to see if he had possibly missed the presence of a large truck that could have backed into the building and make it shake/start to collapse. Of course there was no truck. Then we looked on the internet, but it had JUST happened, so there was nothing on there. Shortly thereafter, we both got these public service news-bulletin like thingys on our phones, saying that there had been an earthquake.

And I thought YoonHo just had that restless leg syndrome or something. But nope. It was like a 4.8 or something - where it hit. Here it was nothing. But still. My first earthquake.

I remember my first earthquake. I was at work, and I thought that a truck had run into our building, too. I remember thinking "great, and we just finished building this thing out. Ours wasn't bad, either. Just mainly shook us up. It's a weird feeling when you hold on to something and it's shaking, too.

I was in after-shocks in San Francisco once. It was weird but I realized that I would rather stay on the 9th floor and fall on top of the others rather than go to the lobby...

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health