« Home | Eager, not obsessive » | I think I've had a personal breakthrough of sorts.... » | Some may not believe me » | I'm listening to Jay-Z and Linkin Park » | Things I've Thought About Today » | Quite clever » | "Get On" » | Slight update » | Third time's a charm? » | I take it all back » 

Sunday, February 27, 2005 

Yay!

Well, dear friends, Melissa has arrived safe and sound! I set my alarm for 3 AM thinking I'd reset it for somewhere around 3:45 and go back to sleep (nonsensical yes, but I do it everyday because it makes me feel like I've slept longer than I really have). Anyway, obviously when the alarm went off at 3:00, I wanted to check to make sure that her flight was on time, and then it was all downhill from there. I was way too awake and excited to go back to sleep, so I didn't. Kylie graciously offerred to ride with me to the airport to hopefully prevent any awkwardness between the Korean man from the school and myself (the whole "I feel like I should at least be trying to talk to him," feeling kicks in sometimes even when you know that he doesn't understand enough English to carry on any semblence of a conversation). By the time we arrived at the airport I was so excited that I was nauseous. We were waiting outside the gate - anyway, I cannot even begin to put into words the anticipation I was feeling. But she did come through the doors - she actually saw me first - and it was just as wonderful and exciting as every reunion with a dear friend should be. Then we came back to Seoul and to our apartments. Hers, while cleaner than I expected it to be, smelled too foul for us to undertake any project so ambitious as extensive cleaning or unpacking. So we came up to my apartment, where Melissa and Daive had a heart-warming reunion, and she and I sat around and talked for some time. In short, I love - LOVE - her being here. We went on a brief walk around, so that she at least knows how to get to work from where we live. And she did really well about staying awake - she took two naps, but considering that she had been awake for 30 hours, was in a time zone 14 hours different from what her body is used to, and she got her at 5 in the morning...I think 2 naps isn't too shabby. I forced her to go out to eat tonight, and she went to bed (for the night) as soon as we were finished - around 7:00 PM. Tomorrow will be her first day of work...I'm excited for her, and I'm (of course) also very excited for me. It's nice to have a friend here who knows you, understands you, knows the same people as you back home, likes your dog, is witty, is quite intelligent, etc. It's been a little bit since I was around someone with whom relating came to easily. And that's quite nice.

Another benefit to her coming is that she brought one of my books that I accidentally left with her when I went to Israel. It's Henry Scougal's The Life of God in the Soul of Man. The book was written in the 1600s, but it (no exaggeration) one of the three most amazing books I've ever read. I highly highly HIGHLY recommend it. It was actually influential in the conversion of George Whitefield, which means it played a role in the Great Awakening. Very amazing book - here's a taste for you:


The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its
love: he who loveth mean and sordid things doth thereby become base and vile;
but a noble and well-placed affection doth advance and improve the spirit unto a
conformity with the perfections which it loves.

And the book is super easy to read, even with the random "doth" and "-eth" thrown in there - a short book, amazing...read it! You won't be disappointed.

And now a quick list of things Melissa has/mentioned/brought that I miss severely from home:
  1. Scented lotion (specifically Love Spell from Victoria's Secret) - I miss being able to wear yummy smelling lotion - a girl at church had Moonlight Path lotion last week and smelling it nearly made me cry - not for sentimental reasons, just because I desperately have wanted some. I schemed at least four or five times to get some Love Spell lotion (though my love wanes between Love Spell and two other scents) and I was thwarted each time. I've resolved myself to knowing that it just obviously wasn't meant to be, but it doesn't mean I can't use a dab of her lotion, smell it, and be really quite happy.
  2. Products from Wal-Mart - or more specifically, the ability to buy things at Wal-Mart that are familiar, and without being acosted by the whole host of people who work in the health and beauty supply section who, based on their energy for their jobs, MUST work on commission
  3. Stuff - that's really what it boils down to - I miss the stuff you can get in the States. I miss the comfortable, familiar, favorites I have. I miss book stores. I miss Victoria's Secret. I miss Wal-Mart (yes they have them here but they are SO not the same). And I'm not saying this with a "woe is me" attitude - it's convicting to realize that mostly what I miss is materialistic. Oh...I miss the fact that I could buy Watermark's CD and listen to it the same day. See? All materialistic stff.

So anyway, I'm going to attempt to tear myself away from the computer and go to bed now. I'm exhausted, certainly, but am not sure if my mind is capable of calming down at this moment. We shall see. Love you all!

I felt excited for you and Melissa. I'm so happy for you. I wish I could pack of box of smells like peaches, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and daffodils to send you. Thanks for the suggestion about the book, I will read it. You are so smart! Hugs, GA mom

Hey, I wanted you to know I am going to write you back. And To Whom now links you. You should return the favor since you're all computer savy now :)

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health