« Home | Congratulations Jessica! » | Korean Chocolate » | My Bank Account » | A wake-up call » | My sister said this when we were talking in an IM ... » | A different kind » | This should explain my blog title to anyone still ... » | DAIVE! » | Work Party » | Cake, the Korean way (part 1) » 

Friday, March 11, 2005 

True friend

Can I tell you why I love my friend Melissa? Allow me to...because she understands that I have this issue about food and textures. Something can taste delicious beyond belief, but if it's got a wonky texture, the taste doesn't even matter. I can't even get to the taste, because I can't get past the texture. One of the Korean teachers in the office was passing around these rice cakes - and they aren't what you and I would think of when I say the words "rice cake." It's this squishy-yet-solid shape, she had white, pink, and green ones, and it's this very chewy, rubbery-even, ball, with liquid-honey-type stuff inside. I took one, and took a bite, and chewed it (and even swallowed it), but the smell and texture made me wait a second before taking another bite. Melissa ate hers, said to the Korean teacher, "It's so good!" and was then encouraged to take another one, which she did. After the Korean teacher walked away, she looked at me, and said, "Yeah, don't eat that. With your texture thing, you won't be able to handle it." And so she took mine and shoved it in her mouth (and she hadn't completely finished the first one yet) and was holding a third one. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is a show of true friendship. At the work party last week, she asked to share my noodles because she knew I wouldn't eat them or like them, which helped some in making me look less rude, but sadly not a whole lot. True friends....gotta love 'em, especially when they eat disgusting crap for you.

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health