« Home | De-Claude » | Not sure if I mentioned the slight shopping spree ... » | Fireworks and the small multi-colored strands of C... » | I went to sleep at 2 AM and got up at 9:30. That's... » | You have just got to see this...and please feed hi... » | One of my K-7 students had been absent for over a ... » | It's weird how used you can get to not knowing wha... » | A leisurely squatThe point of this picture is to s... » | Always face the splash guard...it's there for a re... » | BlarI woke up to go to the bathroom or maybe becau... » 

Sunday, October 09, 2005 

A tour of my apartment

My sister asked me to take pictures of my apartment because she wanted to see them, so I thought I'd post them on here just for fun. Here you go.

The pictures got all out of order when I was trying to post them, so just bear with me here.

This is the view of my apartment from the door. It's a one-room apartment, so from here you can see the refrigerator (next to the wardrobe thingy on the right-hand side) and also the sliding glass doors (far right) onto the patio where my washing machine and other various junk is kept. Also, there is a tie-dye shirt on the window sill because when I open the outer window (with the frosted glass) Daive sits there and looks out the regular window. Note also the beach picture (which you can only barely see), its a picture I took in Tel Aviv and is GORGEOUS. I'll try to scan it and post it.
This is the view from the kitchen. I wish there was a better view of the bookcase, because that's the bookcase I carried for half a block and up one flight of stairs by myself. The big comfy chair likewise was salvaged from the streets, but Kylie helped me get it up here. The computer chair too, now that I think about it, was rescued from the streets by Kylie and Donovan for me. Koreans throw out perfectly good stuff. (So then I take it, disinfect it, and live happily ever after.)
This is the view from the top of the (43) stairs (I've climbed them multiple times a day for nine months, it's only natural I got bored enough to count). Only usually my door isn't open and my cat doesn't have a lampshade collar on his head. Do note the little marble space in the apartment that is lowered, that is the shoe home. Koreans don't wear shoes inside, so they stay in this space, where they trap the dirt and such that is carried on them. The bag is full of recycling, which I have proven time and time again that I am unable to remember to take downstairs everyday. The big cabinets are maybe supposed to hold shoes, but that's not what I use them for. (At least not just shoes.)
This is my home. #402, at the top of the 43 stairs.
This is my bathroom, which serves the dual purpose of being the cat's room at night (hence the kennel top with a sheet in it on the floor). There's no stall for showering, it's just a handle out of the wall and everything gets wet. There is a cabinet above the toilet, but I didn't take a picture of it because it's so full of stuff and ugly.


That's all. I could've taken a pic of the kitchen (but it was too dirty and I haven't done my dishes in an embarrassingly long time), or of the porch (but it was cluttered and really, who cares), but I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Welcome to my home!

I love your wood floors.

I should've thought to explain that...it's not real wood. Korean apartments heat through the floor (since that's where most of the sitting and sleeping happens in a traditional Korean apt.), and so there are water pipes all underneath the floor (assuming I understand the whole thing properly) and then the floor is covered with a relatively cheap sticky wood-patterned paper...kind of. It took me awhile to realize that the heat came through the floors though - and I will say it's quite nice to be able to step barefooted on the floor in the middle of winter and have your feet be the warmest part of your body rather than the coldest.

where does the water go from the shower? GA mom

There's a drain under the sink that you can't see in this pic because the toilet is in the way. The floor has a slight slope to it so the water all goes that direction.

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health