« Home | Happy Canada Day! » | I feel like I've succumbed. What is my job? I am a... » | Yesterday afternoon I became very dizzy. It was ve... » | Frustration » | This past weekend I walked out of a movie in a the... » | Animal Sounds and Cultural Beliefs » | This is a picture from the June National Geographi... » | Splurge » | Meet Claude » | Thoroughly adorable » 

Monday, July 04, 2005 

Happy 4th of July!

I went to the Michael W. Smith concert last night and had a much more enjoyable time than I expected to have. The thought kept occurring to me throughout the concert, "It's weird that I'm here," being that I'm not such a hardcore fan and all (and pretty much everyone else there was). It gratified my need for familiarity and made me as sentimental as I expected it to be. Interesting thing though, before the concert began, a man came out and prayed. I have never heard such a political prayer in my life. He first prayed in Korean, then in English. I asked June if the prayers were the same and she said they were. He thanked God for George Bush (a sentiment I know many others do not share), thanked God for the American troops that came over during the Korean war, thanked God for the continuing presence of the American troops (a sentiment MOST Koreans seem to not share), prayed that God would protect the country from the evil spread of communism, and asked that God would continue to bless the country with a close relationship with their U.S. ally. This is horrible, but I started laughing during the prayer - I knew it was serious, but kept on thinking that it just couldn't be serious. There was little talk of the concert at hand, of Michael W. Smith, or the hopes for the evening - but lots of gratitude for the U.S. Interesting.

Incidentally, Kylie, Donovan, and I saw Batman Begins on Saturday night. When it comes to the Batman movies, not that I feel excessively strong on the matter, but my favorites are the first two, with Michael Keaton (right?) as Batman. I actually prefer the second (Batman Returns, right?) to the first, just because the Joker freaked me out. In any case, Batman Begins was thoroughly enjoyable. It made me want to break out my old copy of Newsies. Ahh...I loved that movie. In any case, Christian Bale is attractive - and he did a good job of copying Michael Keaton's voice when he was in the Batman character (not that that was necessarily his intent, but that's what it seemed like to me).

Church yesterday was exceptional, for a whole host of reasons. A great day - though it rained all day and I got soaked more than once. Today has been rough - I have this one student in one class that is extremely difficult to deal with, and today I just nearly lost it. And I can't lose it, because though this is education, it's also a service job, because there are so many hagwons in Seoul that parents change relatively easy. So not much happens to this particular kid - and it's been an issue for awhile, and just nothing is changing. I sometimes dread the class. And I just don't know what to do. Ah well...it's not that big of a deal. It will work out, but now I'm still steaming due to frustration.

Happy 4th! I was thinking earlier of last 4th, living in my trailer, and the bottle-rocket war behind my trailer. The bottle rockets kept on hitting my trailer though, which was not so sturdy to begin with. I finally had to take Juliette outside (she was the only dog that would growl and bark at the fireworks) to tell them to stop. It ended up that the war was about ten to twelve white males of varying ages against one very young black child. Welcome to lower Alabama. (Horribly stereotypical statement, but it's true to an extent.) In any case, happy 4th!

I still laugh hysterically at that story from last year. Last night I went to bad at 11pm (I was exhausted from the weekend) and kept being awakened by HORRIFIC BOOMING noises RIGHT outside my bedroom window. The first couple times I was jerked awake I truly thought (for a split second) that I was being bombed. Then I finally realized that it was just obnoxious people shooting off fireworks at ungody hours (like 2am).
-Bethany

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health