« Home | I had to go to the bathroom, so Daive took over fo... » | She may not be ferocious, but she plays a mean gam... » | Arm Fondler in the Park » | So I wrote a letter this weekend to my school and ... » | Bethany's Tribute to her Dad » | In Memory of Dr. Donald Dunlap » | I found out the news about Bethany's dad on Friday... » | Now, the culture tidbit of the day is that tact, a... » | More Korean Customs » | It comes from an interesting source, but of all th... » 

Sunday, September 25, 2005 

C. S. Lewis

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've only recently really starting reading C.S. Lewis. The reason being that the bookstore at my church has begun stocking a handful of English books, and quite a few of that handful are his. I bought the complete Narnia set in Israel and read it there (for the first time, I might add). I got Mere Christianity here at a bookstore before my church bookstore started stocking English books and read it. Then I bought A Grief Observed a few weeks ago, and it is a godsend, because reading it has helped me to know a little bit of what to pray for Bethany and her family, just by bringing the experience of grief fresh to my mind. Then two weeks ago I bought The Great Divorce, and The Weight of Glory (being a repeat buy, as I have a copy in the States, but well worth the 10,000 won). I only started the Great Divorce yesterday, and I finished it today on the subway. It's a really amazing book, of course. But then at dinner tonight I randomly thought of the Caedmon's Call song that mentions something about the "high countries" and I thought I should dig the CD out and listen to it. And the song was amazing before, but having read the book, the song actually made sense. And what an amazing song it is! It's for reasons such as this that I love Caedmon's Call (that, and the fact that "potentiality" is an actual word that actually fits in one of their songs). It's on the Back Home CD, and the title of the song is (appropriately enough) "The High Countries." It's good stuff.

Also, I was reading on some website that I generally respect and trust the author's opinion, and he said something about C.S. Lewis being a mystic. Is that true? I'm gonna go look it up now, but I am just wondering if anyone else has heard this before.

Have you listened to Derek Webb? He used to be the front man for Caedmon's but has now gone solo. I would say this about no other musician, but his songs have really changed my life. If you don't own his cds they are a must have. To me, the best are "She Must and Shall Go Free" and "The House Show" which is a live variation of some of the songs from SMASGF, plus an additional few. His most recent work, "I See Things Upside Down" isn't as good as the others, but still worth your money.

I actually have the CD "She Must and Shall Go Free" and love it. I have been wanting to get The House Show, but haven't been able to yet. I like Caedmon's Call better than Derek Webb solo...but that may just be because I haven't listened his CD lately.

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health