« Home | I got new glasses today, BTW. » | Pickles and Kimchi » | On a much lighter note... » | Its been a tough week » | the oatmeal that was my undoing » | The open class went well. It went fair, anyway. In... » | Wanted to sleep in to cut down on time to worry, b... » | And so tomorrow is the dreaded day. I'll have five... » | Okay...I should already be asleep, so this will be... » | I attempted to copy and paste the message I got wh... » 

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 

Edible seaweed paper



Continuing with my theme of food-related posts (or weird cultural things I've somehow forgotten to mention until now), allow me to introduce you to nori. Nori is actually the Japanese name for it, and I'm sure it has a Korean name. I just don't know it. Anyway, it's dried seaweed that you use to wrap up a little ball of rice (like a rice burrito) and eat it. I think I've actually mentioned it before now that I think about it. Anyway, now is an improvement because I found pictures online. The picture on the bottom looks gross because it has horseradish trickled on the top and rice squished on the back. The picture on the top makes it look like they are flooring tiles. So combine the two, and you know what I'm talking about. In fact, it's what sushi rolls (california rolls? I avoid things involving raw fish whenever possible) come wrapped in, so if you've had sushi, you've had this. It's what kimbop (not mmmbop, Jen) is wrapped in as well. Lunch today at school, which has been remarkably fishy for the past week, was fish sausage (o-dang in Korean....SO gross to me), kimchi, rice, and the seaweed paper. The little papers are salty too...it was quite tasty, and I thought I'd share.

Also, tonight Kylie and I were discussing my cat and she made an extremely humorous (though cruel and something I'd never do) suggestion. Actually, I think I was holding my bloody finger from where the cat had just removed some of my skin and saying as many non-curse words as possible. Nonetheless, she was shaking a bottle of water at the cat (with the lid on, I might add) because we couldn't find the spray bottle I use to actually spray the cat when he's being bad and she said, "You should start spraying the cat with hair spray and see how long it takes before it kills him." What made it much funnier than it already was, was that in my head I had a picture of my cat gradually turning into this statue. It's not funny at all now, but oh, how I laughed! He's so bad. I'm going to call tomorrow and see how much it costs to get him neutered and declawed. It's time....actually a little past time by my standards, but the vets here wouldn't do it any earlier. And that reminds me of a morbid line from Fight Club, about how it's a sick world where at the animal shelter even when someone loves you enough to save your life, they still have you castrated. And on that morbid note, I leave you. Good night.

Sushi is fantastic! Sushi doesn't have raw fish in it though, so you should try it out. It's sashimi (a ball of rice with a raw filet laying on top of it) that has the raw fish. I thought I would hate sushi too but its turned out to be one of my favorites, especially the eel rolls with eel sauce (i would hate to know what exactly eel sauce is but nevermind) haha! Just wanted to let you know so that you can try it out without actually thinking its raw and get a new experience. You could try California rolls (all vegetables inside) or a Cream Cheese roll...just cream cheese inside.. YUMMY!

Sushi there (States-side) or sushi here? I have been given a piece of something called sushi, and it was definitely raw fish. But that was here. And who knows the translation issues accompanying that exchange (some parts of my life feel like they came straight from Lost in Translation). And eel sauce...makes me cringe. But there is a chain-restaurant that advertises california rolls...I'll definitely try them out! Thanks for the tip!

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health