« Home | On a much lighter note... » | Its been a tough week » | the oatmeal that was my undoing » | The open class went well. It went fair, anyway. In... » | Wanted to sleep in to cut down on time to worry, b... » | And so tomorrow is the dreaded day. I'll have five... » | Okay...I should already be asleep, so this will be... » | I attempted to copy and paste the message I got wh... » | Google Talk, will you marry me » | And now...for the highlight of my evening...I just... » 

Saturday, September 10, 2005 

Pickles and Kimchi

Okay, so besides the fact that this blog has the word in it's title, what do you know about kimchi? Have you ever tasted it? Did you like it? What did you think of it? Aaron once said that the taste of kimchi ranges from spicy (tasty) to rancid (over-fermented). I think he was right on. I'm not such a big fan of kimchi, though I like it more now than when I first moved here. Radish kimchi is my favorite but it's still too....kimchi-ey. Nonetheless, kimchi is a sidedish served at every Korean restaurant. Even Outback Steakhouse serves kimchi here. However, according to some set of unwritten (at least I've never read them) rules, kimchi doesn't "go" with certain foods. Pizza, for instance, is one of those non-kimchi foods. However, the Koreans NEED something crunchy and pickled/fermented with every meal. They require it. It's not optional. And so, pizza here is served with pickles (the sweet kind, not the dill kind - the dill kind are nearly impossible to find). Since I found out that I can order pizza from pizza hut (they have English speakers there) I've ordered it more than I probably should. It's just too easy (not to mention too expensive, but I guess I'm paying for the convenience also). Anyway, I keep on saving the pickles for when I have some of my Korean friends over to eat a meal. I had some of the Korean teachers over for dinner a few months ago, and Jenny asked if I had any kimchi or pickles, and (to my utter embarrassment) I didn't. Now that wouldn't be a problem, thank you pizza hut. BUT...now I'm getting hooked. The kimchi looks tastier, and I scarf (wonder if I spelled that right) down the pickles with pizza. In fact, I almost need them. AND (this is a much bigger surprise) I'm starting to like spicy food. I drink lots and LOTS of water (I mean really, unbelievable amounts of water) when I eat spicy food, but I'm getting hooked.

PS - Fried chicken (they've ordered it before at the office) comes with pickled/fermented radish, but without the kimchi spice. That's all. Thought about it after I published it and thought I'd add it.

The words I have heard on kimchi have ranged from, nasty, raunchy, putrid, disgusting, detestable... you get the picture. I've never actually tried it myself, but I would if given the opportunity. Then I could know for sure.

heaven help you the day you get pregnant and the cravings hit. there's no telling what you'll be wanting!

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health