« Home | C. S. Lewis » | I had to go to the bathroom, so Daive took over fo... » | She may not be ferocious, but she plays a mean gam... » | Arm Fondler in the Park » | So I wrote a letter this weekend to my school and ... » | Bethany's Tribute to her Dad » | In Memory of Dr. Donald Dunlap » | I found out the news about Bethany's dad on Friday... » | Now, the culture tidbit of the day is that tact, a... » | More Korean Customs » 

Sunday, September 25, 2005 

Toilet Paper

Can I ask a personal question? I mean, really really personal? On average, how many squares of toilet paper do you use for a wipe job? (That's per individual wipe, not the total number of squares needed for a satisfactory level of nether-region-cleanliness.) And ladies, do the number of squares change according to what you're...ahem....doing? But wait...there's more...

There were some places in Israel and some places here that have toilet paper dispensers on the wall when you walk into the bathroom (not the stall, the actual room) and you have to get it before you go in. This requires more predictive abilities than I personally have, so I always end up taking too much. Then there are places in Korea with no toilet paper at all (my purse stays stocked, I assure you), and in China the norm is no toilet paper and no stall doors. (Important: someone please tell me if I have blogged already about squat pots and going to the bathroom using a squat pot.)

I used to be opposed to bathroom discussions, but working at the vet cured me of that. Now I converse freely about all bodily functions, both mine and my pets'. It's not very feminine and definitely not delicate, but I am usually appropriate. (I only talk about it with people I'm close to and who are comfortable.) In fact, I've found that my closest friends are the ones that I can talk about poop with. I wonder if we can talk about it because we're close, or if talking about poop makes us closer? I remember the relief (no pun intended) I felt when, eating dinner with Kylie and Donovan at Outback on Friday night after our first week of work, that I mentioned something about poop, and Kylie exclaimed, "Oh yes! You like to talk about poop too!" And I don't mean making crude jokes...just poop - the good, the bad, the ugly, and the kind that makes you sick.

Plus I've been forced to be more open about bathroom issues over the past year. I had an issue with the plumbing in my apartment in Tel Aviv and it ended up being horrifyingly embarrassing. Then there's the necessary to prejudge how much toilet paper one would need prior to even entering the stall. In fact, it was thinking of that that prompted this whole post. In Israel, Jerusalem actually, Mary and I had both gone to the bathroom and she was in the stall before she realized we needed toilet paper. I went to fetch some for us both, and she said, "Geez, you think you got enough there?" It was the first time I realized my toilet paper habits could be wasteful. Then, one of my friends who came from a very large family said that she uses about four squares...for both kinds of jobs. I don't count the squares, I just pull...but Kylie and I (while sitting in my apartment away from the bathroom) experimented tonight, and we both use about eight squares on average...also for both kinds of jobs. So, what do you think?

And just in case the questions have been lost in the midst of my senseless rambling:

1. On average, how many squares do you use for each individual wipe?
2. Ladies, is the number different according to the kind of job?
3. Wet wipes: is there a place for them in the bathroom life of adults? (was going to title it "Wet wipes: cleansing and soothing, or cold and clammy? but clammy wasn't quite the word I was looking for - wait - my sister just said that they make wet wipe warmers...that changes the whole thing...but still, as an adult, do you have any use for wet wipes?)

Haha I just pull! But I'll count next time and tell you. I do think it depends on the job...and I have wet wipes for LM and I have used them, they aren't bad. They stay in a drawer though. LoL.

This is the verification I had to type in, btw. "fckdwinw"

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

how do i delete those spam comments from my blog?

You have to sign into blogger, then click on "view blog," and click on the comment link...there should then be a little garbage can under each comment and you can delete them. To turn on word verification, go to "Settings," then "Comments," and put yes for word verification. I also like the pop-up window for comments better than the other format...but that's just my preference. :)

^^Not sure why I responded here instead of at your blog...I'll go copy my comment there.

And as an update, anonymous up there counted, and said 10 squares for her. That is all.

at least 8-10, but just a guess. there needs to be a sufficent barrier between my hand and the task of cleaning the nether-region. that is a dangerous task that one need not tempt with an "oops" alex

I have yet to read the entire post, but I have to comment and say that I was amazed the first time I was in a restroom stall next to an oriental person and all of a sudden their feet disappeared. It freaked me out.

^bwahahahaha!

4.

and they make wet wipes for adults now.

^Yeah, but plain ole' generic baby wipes are cheaper.

^ and ^^ But the question is, do you use them?

If necessary.

I found myself counting for the first time EVER! 5 to 6 btw, Thanks Resa.

Oh yeah, since I found wet wipes life is great. Did you know that men are the number one buyers of wet wipes. I swear by them.

;)

^ I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I'm not a big fan of wet wipes, but when in China, was forced to use them as they don't put toilet paper in the bathrooms (or doors on the stalls for that matter, but that's different I guess). I was happy that I had them, but didn't really enjoy the experience.

No, I really love them. It's a man thing.

:)

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health