« Home | Plucking my eyebrows makes me sneeze. Always has. ... » | I don't even know how many times I've worn dangly ... » | Red and yellow black and white » | I was thrilled beyond expression yesterday to find... » | I was up until 4 AM this morning doing....a variet... » | Anyone good at writing resumes? I need a good obje... » | The smell of bananas has nothing on the smell of j... » | I hate the smell of bananas. There are some beside... » | Mondays are my late days - I work from noon to 9:0... » | I haven't had a cat for long enough to speak for h... » 

Friday, October 21, 2005 

"Miguk" is Korean for USA. "Wayguk" is Korean for foreigner. I hear these words a lot.

My students are consistently amazed when I know what Korean money is. There's been at least four or five times in my different classes when a kid has pulled out a coin or a bill, pointed at it, and said proudly, "Korean money." I nod my head and say, "Yes, I know. I have some." Their response to this is gaping-mouth shock and complete bewilderment. "Teacher, YOU have Korean money?" I think in their little minds it's like all of us native teachers are magically teleported back to North America at the end of the day. No one has ever been content to leave it at that though, further explanation is always required. In my first grade class the other day, it progressed so far as to have one of the girls drawing a picture on the board of (what I think was supposed to be) a bank, pointing at it, saying "miguk money changey Korean money?" One of my fourth graders insisted on giving me 100 won coin (about ten cents) because I think she thought I was just confused and didn't actually understand her.

That, coupled with the way parents respond to us, really reinforces the idea that their perception of us is closer to the mystical north pole-elves than with actual foreigners living in their country. I met two parents today, which was terrifying. Aside from that one open day, I never meet the parents. They have a conference every so often with the Korean coordinators, but it's really like we're the invisible elves they know exist but don't meet (and don't seem to want to meet, either). The schedule was different today because of something special going on in the general kindergarten downstairs, and I only had one kid in my youngest kindergarten class . His mom delivered him to the classroom, which NEVER happens. Surprised me and scared me. Then we sat on the stairs waiting for the other students to come, but they weren't, then the Korean teacher told me to start my class, that his mother brought him just for class with me and was waiting in the meeting room for him to be finished. But from the way she said it, I thought she meant his mom would be watching and listening to the class via the monitors in the office (a prospect scary enough to nearly make me soil myself). So I was even more manic and chipper than usual, which is difficult when you only have one four-year old throwing energy back at you. Afterwards, I took him downstairs and my boss said, "His mom is interested in you," and motioned for me to go into the meeting room. I walked in, put down my basket, attempted a polite bow, and then just talked to the student while she put on his going-outside clothes (sweater and hat). She didn't say a word to me. Then she left. I was kind of "...uhhh...." but just went into the office. Less than a handful of seconds later, Mr. Moon came in, with a gift of various coffee mixes for me from this student's mom. I rushed out to thank her, but she had already gotten down two flights of stairs with a four-year old. (Maybe she's the elf.)

It's so cool (temperature-wise) here right now that my window is open, and the bottle of Diet Coke I left sitting out is cool enough that I can drink it without adding ice. My toes are numb, and so perhaps I should get up and shut the window. But between the computer on my lap, and the pile of animals on me, the rest of me is toasty. I'm sick again...did I mention that? I'm gonna go take some cold medicine and go to bed.

^ It's actually very good advice! Thanks!

Really Good advice

toronto magician

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health