« Home | More about the pennies » | It's been a busy and hectic week. Here are some hi... » | It's snowing!!! » | In the past two weeks I have been to the doctor fo... » | My homeLook in the middle of the map, and you shou... » | Brother Yun » | Happy Thanksgiving!No turkey today...am looking fo... » | Korean Tact » | $5 Pop-Tarts » | Ants » 

Monday, December 12, 2005 

Highlights of my weekend:

  • Job interview went quite well - charmed and impressed. However, they called one of my references (Korean teacher from current school) while she was actually at my current school working. She talked to them normally, but then our boss walked in and she couldn't. That might cause problems.
  • I thankfully did not freeze off my toes and/or feet in the sock-less not warm shoes I was wearing.
  • I did MAJOR shopping after the interview:
    • Got my hair cut by a guy that speaks English perfectly (that's a first for me since I've been here)
    • Bought a new scarf and mitts, as it was below freezing all day. Learned how to put on said scarf from the old delightful grandma lady I bought it from (being from Florida has rendered scarf-putting-on an impossible to master task for me. I think I got it now though.)
    • Bought an Ella Fitzgerald CD
    • Bought Christmas presents for Donovan, a friend from church, Daive, and Claude
    • Bought more pop-tarts and *gasp* a bag of cool ranch doritoes (and yes, they were everything I hoped they would be and more)
    • Here's the big 'un - I went shoe shopping because I didn't want to repeat the open-toed black shoe fiasco again, and for this very reason, went to the most foreigner-friendly part of town. Again, I got laughed out of every shop. So my friend who was with me said we should check about getting a pair of shoes made for me. I agreed to check into it, but didn't think I'd do it, as I expected it to cost WAY more than I was willing to spend. Long story short, it cost 85 dollars (which is 10 dollars less than the pair of shoes I kinda liked that didn't come in my size) and the guy measured and traced my feet. I'm excited, but I'm also kinda scared, cause my feet really are monstrous and the shoes might just look like freaky tennis racquets or something. I'll have them in a week, and I'm rather looking forward to it.
    • When I went to the vet near my house to buy cat litter and kitten food, I also bought Christmas presents for the animals. I told the vet that's what I was doing. Before I left, he came up and put in a bag of dog treats and a bag of cat food and said it was his Christmas present to Daive and Claude respectively...absolutely adorable.
All in all, a great weekend. Found a Christian bookstore on Sunday afternoon and bought FIVE (count 'em, five) books. I also bought a commentary on Friday from the bookstore at my church. Spent lots of money this weekend, but it was all absolutely worth it. After all, it's Christmas, and that's the point right?

on the christmas statement at the end...guess you haven't been to justbeforebetween in a while have you?! just kidding!

I actually made the statement with the JBB post/resulting comments in mind. Poking a little fun

ahhh yes!

Just curious... Does everyone have ittle bitty feet over there? Cuz I know I met you, and I don't recall you needing clown shoes. It sounds like I'd get my feelings hurt a lot over there. Heh.

^ Not only does everyone over here have itty bitty feet, they have itty bitty everything. I could tell you everything I CAN'T buy over here to wear on my person, but as it would take too long I'll tell you what I can buy here:
- socks (men's socks too)

And yeah, I get/have gotten my feelings hurt a lot...really...I walk into a store and they look at my feet and laugh. And it's not a nice laugh. But I'm surviving.

so I'm thinking that with my 6'5" body and my size 12 shoes I would pretty much be a freak? am I right?

^ Major freak...yeah. Two of the teachers are my school are super tall, and yeah...they stand out (or rather, above) the crowd here.

do you have your new shoes yet? i'm excited to hear about the shoes.

^Sadly, I won't be able to pick them up until next Monday. Possibly sooner. The guy is going to text message me when they arrive. I'm excited too, but a little afraid. y

That sucks that everyone there is so tiny. Honestly, I feel sort of uncomfortable around really tiny people. Especially when they have really assertive personalities, because I feel like the friendly giant (even at 5'4).

^When you combine being larger than the average Korean (and I know some stuffed animals that are larger than the average Korean, so it's not a difficult thing), being white, and speaking English, it ends up making me a cross between a freak show and a movie star.

People stare (and stare and stare, with NO shame whatsoever) because I'm white. Then they might want to talk to me because I speak English and most know a little English. But they're all so shy, if they try to speak English, they end up laughing. Then (take their shyness with the Korean tact described earlier) and you're not sure if they're laughing at you or at themselves.

It's funny how the Korean teachers that work at my school really have NO idea what it's like for us. We had all gone out one night, and were leaving, and lots of people were staring, pointing, saying hi, etc. and the Koreans from work couldn't stop laughing. Yeah, laugh it up fuzzy, it gets old after about a month.

That was a long response, huh?

Haha I could teach you about scarves!

And YAY for Ella!

H

^ Yeah, the Ella CD is awesome! I am loving it.

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health