« Home | It's snowing!!! » | In the past two weeks I have been to the doctor fo... » | My homeLook in the middle of the map, and you shou... » | Brother Yun » | Happy Thanksgiving!No turkey today...am looking fo... » | Korean Tact » | $5 Pop-Tarts » | Ants » | A new template, and a whole heap of new links...ho... » | Ache all over.... if this is the flu it's gonna be... » 

Saturday, December 10, 2005 

It's been a busy and hectic week. Here are some highlights:

- One of my first graders (who, in his defense, does have a very new baby brother) turned to me in class when we were all sitting on the floor reading, pointed at my chest, made a sucking noise, and said, "Milk, please!" I was dumbfounded.
- Same day as the breast milk request, I was in my last class of the day (my sixth grade class) and one of the boys was trying to explain that his toy had hit him in his private parts. However, this was how he said it, "It hit me in the pennies." (Pronounced "pennies" like the small coins.) This struck me as rather funny, especially since they were trying to shock me. Obviously, this is one word I'm going to correct them on their pronunciation. I had to cover up my face with a book for a few seconds while I regained my composure, and then went on with class.
- Someone finally said something to me at work about quitting...in the form of a question, "Why February?" I said it was because I haven't seen my family in over a year. He (my boss) asked me if I had a job in the States. Then, in a fit of what could only have been a supernatural shot of intestinal fortitude, I said, "Oh no. I'm coming back to Korea....just not to this school." This was in the middle of the office, too. Eyes bulged, jaws dropped. But, because of the Korean anti-conflict thing, he just kept the conversation light and superficial, but no one has talked to me since then. (That'll teach them, huh?)
- I have a job interview tomorrow at a really good school. It specializes in SAT and Western-College prep courses. It sounds like it would be a really challenging job, it pays well, and it is in the richest neighborhood in Seoul. That last thing is actually a minus about it...we'll see how it goes.

That's about it. FYI, I'll be wearing open-toed black shoes to the interview tomorrow because I own no other black shoes and I got laughed out of every shoe store today. It's not been above freezing this week (or at least not enough above freezing to melt the snow and ice), so it should be a fairly unpleasant experience.

maybe you could wear socks w/ the shoes on the way there. then snatch them off before you go in?

One of my friends said that she'd rather teach poor kids than rich, because poor parents were more thankful, while rich parents were more demanding and rude. Is that the down side to the rich neighborhood thing?

i have to say that was a pretty interesting day! congrats on the new school thing...i don't know much about the school you're at now, but i hope everything works out!

freaking funniest story I've heard since "I'M A PRESENT, I'M A PRESENT!!!"
-bethany

^^^^I actually brought socks with me, but didn't put them on till afterwards. I wore different shoes - that weren't warm, but also weren't open-toed.

^^^Pretty much any job I get here will be teaching upper-middle class to upper class children, and their parents are often quite obnoxious. The downside to the rich part of town is hard to explain without sounding frumpy or snobby. Basically I'm not rich, stylish, or glamorous, and most of the people that live over there are.

^^Thanks very much Ryan. :) I appreciate it. And it def. was an interesting day.

^ I was just telling someone that story a few weeks ago. Ahhh...memories. :)

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health