« Home | It's been a busy and hectic week. Here are some hi... » | It's snowing!!! » | In the past two weeks I have been to the doctor fo... » | My homeLook in the middle of the map, and you shou... » | Brother Yun » | Happy Thanksgiving!No turkey today...am looking fo... » | Korean Tact » | $5 Pop-Tarts » | Ants » | A new template, and a whole heap of new links...ho... » 

Monday, December 12, 2005 

More about the pennies

Update on the "pennies" boys:
Necessary background: Today in class one of them came in and said without any hint of mischief or evil, "Teacher, is asshole bad?" Eek. Not that this was the first time I've been caught off guard by questions about profanity, but still...they just say it so off-hand. I told him it was, that there were only a handful of English bad words, and that if that was on the list, they should not ever say it. He explained that he had heard it on a video game (Grand Theft Auto 3, for you that care). Then another boy said, "What about motherf*#$%#?" Ummm...yeah, that's REALLY bad. Don't say it.

A little later, they start saying something I know isn't English (sounds like "gus"). I also know it's bad from the way they're acting when they say it. So I went downstairs and got one of the teachers to come up and tell them that profanity, in any language, is not appropriate for class. Unfortunately, the Korean teacher that helped me didn't really understand my point, so they kept on saying the questionable (but unknown) Korean word. After class finished, I passed them on my way home downstairs. The Korean teacher was down there and I asked him what it meant. He said it was just a name. I knew it wasn't...but whatever. So I started walking home, when one of the boys comes running down the street yelling my name. I thought I had dropped something. He runs up and SHOUTS: "Gus means PENNIES!!!!" So I turned and kept on walking. He followed me shouting this, and I was just shaking my head. So perhaps I've just taught you all creative Korean slang for male private parts. At this point I'm still not really sure. But I am quite sure he wasn't talking about the small bronze coin with Abraham Lincoln on it.

wow, you might have just started a new revolution in slang!

so I understand where you're coming from. In Burkina Faso they broadcast portions of NBA games and so whenever we played basketball the burkinabe would try and mimic their favorite stars. Most of them knew only one english word, f***k, and would shout it loudly as they went up and down the court.

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health