« Home | You know you're in a Korean buffet restaurant when... » | Home sweet indistinguishable from the next home... » | Oh, for the faith of a four year old... » | Found » | Like losing an arm or something... » | We are not necessarily doubting that God will ... » | It's been overall a good week. I was out of work s... » | I'm sure you're tired of me posting pictures of my... » | I don't know what kind of tree it is, but I notice... » | This is the view from my front door. (Notice the r... » 

Sunday, April 09, 2006 

Yellow dust




And to think, all this time I thought it was a weird Koreanism (my word for Korean myth). They told me that in the spring "yellow dust" from China blows into Korea, and that it's all very unsafe. I was like, "Riiiight." Well, yesterday, I nearly broke my one cardinal Korean rule: I will never buy and/or wear a face mask. I didn't actually break down and buy or wear a face mask, but oh geez, I wish I had. This above picture can be found here, and a news story about the phenomenon can be found in English here.

Well I was outside...enough yesterday, for it to have an impact on me. Not to mention I already needed to refill my asthma medication, but as there are FEW asthma sufferers here, I went to five pharmacies before I found one with it, at the very end of the day. I got more and more grumpy as the day went on, I learned only at the end of the day because my airways were getting worse and worse. I assumed it was just bad lungs and Seoul air. And then...

This morning I woke up feeling rather icky. I was stuffed up, and my eyes in particular were feeling rough. They were all leaky and runny, and yet felt like they were completely full of liquid. I got up, and said something to my roommate who was in the living room about how it looked like her neck hurt. When I walked into the bathroom and looked in the mirror, I genuinely startled myself. I exclaimed something, and said, "What in the world happened to my eyes?!" I walked out to show my roommate, and she exclaimed something as well...and it's never a good sign when someone else freaks out too, you know? My eyelids were swollen to about two times their normal size, and I could barely keep my eyes open. Under my eyes was swollen as well. It was weird, and not anywhere near pleasant. Ends up people with respiratory problems aren't supposed to go out when the dust is so bad. Wish I'd have gotten that memo. So today is not good. But I didn't go out much today (though the dust isn't bad at all today).

The stuff comes from deserts in China, particulary the Gobi desert. It's sand storms and such, going over the disgustingly polluted areas of China before reaching us here in sunny and oh-so already polluted Seoul. Last year there was some dust, but I just assumed it was a kind of heavy pollen. Yesterday...one poster in the Korean forums of Dave's ESL cafe (a website and forum I frequent) called it pea soup, which is a very appropriate comparison. I felt dirty and sick when I finally got home last night. Eww. And that above picture was taken in daytime. That's not dusk, it's dust.

i clicked on the link for the picture, and there were no words in english. in fact, there were no words in korean either! foxfire just said the heck with it and put question marks all over the page!

^ Yeah, you have to install a special language pack for characters like Korean/Chinese/Japanese to show up. Even with that, it is only on the webpages, the name of the page that shows up on the top bar just shows question marks or boxes.

"People should keep their windows closed, wear goggles, masks and long-sleeved shirts when going out, and drink plenty of water to help flush out the waste matter in the body,'' the official said. "

Oh Holy Crud!!! I think you should get a face mask in order to avoid the "waste"

--Bethany

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health