« Home | Just thought I should mention this... » | A few noteworthy things » | I'm gonna be rich! » | I watched Fight Club for the first time this past ... » | Last night Daive broke one of her nails. Normally ... » | "It's just the same story a doctor once told me," ... » | By the way » | I bought a food processor today! There's no way to... » | Harrumph Importantly » | Tattoo removal » 

Sunday, April 17, 2005 

The market was:

horrible, abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, beastly, cruel, detestable, disagreeable, disgusting, dreadful, eerie, execrable, frightful, ghastly, grim, grisly, gruesome, heinous, hideous, horrendous, horrid, loathsome, lousy, lurid, nasty, obnoxious, offensive, repellent, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, scary, shameful, shocking, sickie, and terrible.

I got no kitten. I did almost vomit. I also cursed at a complete stranger. I'm not trying to be dramatic - seriously folks, this was just nearly obscene. I didn't take pictures - didn't have a camera - but wouldn't have anyway, because that would've required me to stop. When my stomach is slightly stronger I'll put a link to pictures that show what it was like. It's mostly cultural - seeing cats and dogs as I did today was foreign to me because I grew up in a culture where they were treated as pets, not livestock. I thought I had learned much about other cultures and was doing well at adjusting, but seeing as how I'm such a dog person, the challenge to my preconceived notions about dogs today - it shook me. It's the first time I've thought to myself, "That is just wrong." about another culture. Basically everything else has struck me as basically different, and occasionally uncomfortable. But not this.

This reminds me of something Henry Scougal says in his book that I love about how the Christian should be transformed to the likeness of God so that vileness (in the moral sense, not talking about dogs anymore) strikes him (the Christian) as foreign and vile, much like I found the dog market today? Do you think it's possible? How does that relate to living in the world - is that what is meant by the "not of" part? It's a real question...I'd love some actual feedback as to what you think the answer is.

(FYI, they say the dogs for eating are all one breed, and I saw mostly the same kind (mixed breed). However, I also saw an entire cage of Irish Setters. They probably weren't pedigree, but had to have been close.)

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health