« Home | I've been getting really annoyed with my own indec... » | I just don't know » | I'm surprised that it's been over a week since I l... » | Happy 4th of July! » | Happy Canada Day! » | I feel like I've succumbed. What is my job? I am a... » | Yesterday afternoon I became very dizzy. It was ve... » | Frustration » | This past weekend I walked out of a movie in a the... » | Animal Sounds and Cultural Beliefs » 

Friday, July 15, 2005 

Happy (early) Sisters Day!

Many thanks to Kylie's sister (said sarcastically) for inspiring this rant/tirade. She mentioned a country song (by Reba) called "My Sister" (or My Sister, My Friend). Kylie mentioned that she wanted to download it, and I'm in a sappy, sentimental, and generally mushy mood, so I downloaded it. And then.... (who can guess???) cried. Oh yeah. So I'm homesick, right? It's not a "I'm going home right now!" kind of homesick, not even the "I need to talk to someone from home right now/everyday/as needed," kind. It's more of a persistent constant presence in my mind - especially regarding my two sisters and a handful of friends. But I'm talking here about my sisters.

Jen is my oldest sister. She's the one that's a member of this blog and fixes the template when I get ambitious with the template. She's six years older than me, and we were never all that close growing up. She took care of me a lot (I think...memories are fuzzy and few), then she stayed in Pensacola when we moved to Jacksonville. We're extremely different in a lot of ways, but it's never been an issue. Also, there's more than enough stuff in common to make for good conversation and an interesting time (love/obsession for Diet Coke, various "issues," and a great joke about gout). Anyway, she and I have actually gotten much closer since I've been out of the country. Before we had the "talk on occasion" kind of relationship which was fine - not bad at all, understand, just not that close. When we were together we laughed most of the time and had a thoroughly enjoyable time, but still not that close. Well now we talk online usually once a day. On the rare (but more frequent now that it's summer time and her schedule is different) occasions that we go a few days without talking, we have to email each other to catch up. It's nice. Now I can't imagine it being different. We still laugh....a lot (maybe even more)...still about gout, and about other jokes that only us with our slightly odd sense of humor laugh so hard about...she's one of the most important people in my life.

Val, my other sister (not to be confused with the other sister, the movie about the handicapped girl) was my hardcore fighting partner growing up (seriously, we beat the snot out of each other), the one who taught me how to drive at night in a parking lot before I got my license or permit, the one who comforted me after my first boyfriend broke up with me, the one I talked to an awful lot before I left the States, and the one I never get to talk to anymore. She's incredibly busy, and is doing a lot, so I understand - I'm not at all mad, but I'm sad. But even though we don't talk a lot, I think we're still really close. Just less informed. And since we talk less, I have less to quote from her, but since the three of us seem to share one slightly morbid and odd sense of humor, I find her remarkably funny and witty. I just don't get to hear the hilarious and witty things she says. (But just to settle the age-old debates, you did put the booger on my coat, and I did not ever bruise your kidneys. Thank you, and goodnight.)

I saw by random chance (if you believe such a thing exists, of course) on Hallmark.com's website that Sisters Day is August 7. Consider this my early sister's day tribute to both my sisters. I hope you both listen to the Reba song and cry, because I cried when I heard it, I cried at times when I was typing this, and I'm crying right now thinking about how much I miss the two of you. So nah-nah-nah.

-Here's to sitting on the driveway discussing whether or not aliens exist, and if they do, whether or not they will go to heaven.
-Here's to anxiously coaching you through another relationship ending argument with dad, and to my almost co-dependent daughter making us hug afterwards.
-Here's to driving down roads with no side streets with your blinker on.
-Here's to the Guy that Drove, and the creation of said nickname that will live on in infamy.
-And lastly, here's to you, who can always make me laugh. Make me think. And talk, even when I don't think I want to. You love me even for all my numerous faults. Thank you.
Love always,
--Val--
And one for Jen: here's to drinking on a Sunday night and exchanging five via feet for the "she farted and flew out the window!" joke. 'Nuff said.

I almost mentioned the car driving and blinkers w/no side road thing, but thought it would be too hard to explain. Guy That Drove sometimes reads this site - I only hope he isn't offended by the continued use of the nickname. Guy That Drove, you know who you are, and you have my apologies if you do find it offensive.

The foot high-five was you two, right?

Hee...that was a damn funny joke!! At least at that time. OK, my turn...

-Here's to vacations where Val and I shared a double bed in the hotel room, while Resa slept in a sleeping bag on the floor...
-Here's to cannonballs into the hot tubs of fancy hotels in Atlanta...the one near "THE" mall, not "A" mall...(please tell me I'm not the only one that remembers that)
-Here's to the use of a "kidding voice," which infuriated Resa on many occasions...
-Here's to my younger sisters never being allowed to roller skate because their older sister was an extraordinary klutz.
-Here's to late night trips to The Kettle, and their delicious creamy white sauce...
-Here's to giggle fits in church, espeically during the Lord's Supper...

OK, that's all I can think of for now-memory lane is a fuzzy place, and is sometimes kinda creepy. Love y'all!!

I'm going to contribute more:

- Trips to Waffle House on Jen's 21st birthday when she got off work and she and I were the only ones conscious (ironically)
- Gout (need I say more? though I don't even remember how it started...)
- Val, Taco Bell in Jax, at 3 AM - you were less than sober
- Jen, how the need to walmart materializes when we are together
- Making me move into Val's room as children so we could make my room into the library - don't normal kids play school or house or something???
- Jen, the Jurassic Park and Harry Potter movies
- Val, having to sleep in your room every Christmas eve as a kid so I wouldn't peek

No, no, wait, I have more:

-Aunt Rachel's pimpmobile van complete with sectional sofa and bean bags
-Driving to Pennsylvania in Aunt Rachel's minivan--sleeping on the floor, talking about mom's carbuckle (carbuncle--someone else has to remember this)
-Chin moles that sprout hair
-Extra hot Ro-tel nachos
-"My sister is covered in moles"

--Val--

The carbuckle/buncle is a mystery to me. Though I do remember the Pennsylvania trip in the mini-van. I also remember asking Aunt Fay if they had Po-Folks in Pennsylvania and she said, "No. Up here everyone is rich." (Joking) But it was the first time I realized what the name meant. I also remember the snow - with me on camera captured holding a snowball behind my back asking Val to come to me and saying, "I don't have a snowball behind my back!"
And the nachos - HA!
Moles....heheheheh...nuff said.

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health