« Home | Roosters and Shopping Bags » | Prowling cats, nyquil, and diet coke » | I haven't exactly been myself lately... » | Ansung Vineyard » | ChoonChan City and Dam » | More Haley and Destin pictures » | Haley, Lottie, and Destin » | My niece and nephew » | Vacation Pictures » | GA Mom, you were right... » 

Sunday, October 08, 2006 

Korean mosquitoes have to be some of the least considerate to be found EVER. At this moment, I have two mosquito bites on my left thumb, and one on my right index finger. I can't imagine that biting there really gives them much blood to suck anyway, so it's a bad idea for both of us.

The rooster is gone.

I've gone on a bit of a book-buying spree as of late. There's an English bookstore here in Seoul with an online site where you can order books from the States. It's like Amazon, but different. I find it to be less of a headache. They have suppliers in the States that ship them here, so the cost for the books is a tad higher than it would be States-side, but there's no worries about paying customs if you order over a certain amount of books, etc. Then they ship them to you in Seoul for free. Anyway, here are the books I've ordered:

1) The Unity of the Bible, by Daniel Fuller (I'm pretty sure Piper has mentioned it in one of his books or something...I've heard it spoken highly of by someone I respect)
2) Suffering and the Sovereignty of God (edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor)
3) Flashbang: How I Got Over Myself, by Mark Steele (recommended by a friend of mine)
4) The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within, by Erwin McManus
5) Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith, by Rob Bell (also recommended by a friend)
6) Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications, by D. A. Carson (Adam and I were talking about the whole Emergent movement the other day, and I decided I wanted to learn more)
7) Above All EarthlyPow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World, by David F. Wells (from reading Piper's website and the introduction to the recent DG conference)

Then today I stopped by a Christian bookstore (in my defense, the above books won't arrive for another two weeks or so) and picked up "A Generous Orthodoxy" by Brian McLaren and "Sex and the Supremacy of Christ" also edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor. I got the first book so I could hear from the movement itself before reading a critique of it, and the second because I'm pretty sure I have a warped view of sex. Growing up with a mentally ill mother who had been sexually abused, and who told my sisters and I graphic stories of things her abuser did to her was not exactly a positive or healthy thing for my views and attitudes toward sex. I'm about 35 pages into the book, and it's excellent. I'm about 90 pages into the McLaren book, and I'm not sure what I think - though I get the impression that's kind of what he's trying to accomplish. His writing style is both engaging and slightly infuriating. It definitely keeps the reader both interested and guessing. We'll see how it goes.

I really enjoy the sound that shoes make on a basketball court....on an outside basketball court, that is. Inside a closed-in gym it's kind of overwhelming. There's a basketball court just basically across the street from my apartment (in the schoolyard belonging to the school across from my apartment), and it's a nice comforting kind of sound. Somewhere between a squeak and a screech...a sqreek, perhaps?

And just as a freebie here, if I'm watching a scary/suspenseful/dramatic DVD, I will put on the subtitles (well, I always have on subtitles unless I'm with someone who doesn't like them) and then fast forward 1x. At that speed, the subtitles still show up, so I know what's going on, but am not confined to the generally agonizingly slow speed of the movie. I know some people who would see that as my inability to delay gratification or be patient, but really, you can't do it in real life...why not enjoy being able to fast forward at your leisure in a movie? And besides, isn't that part of the point of movies? To serve as an escape from reality?

I'm a bit scatter-brained (duh, as if you couldn't tell that from this post) and a bit depressed that life goes back to normal again starting tomorrow. What to look forward to now, you know? (I mean that in a landmark, upcoming event sort of way, not in a hopeless-about-life sort of way.)

I loved this blog!

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health