« Home | There are two printers in our office. To say that ... » | I'll be home for Christmas... » | Time for a change... » | Stop the world.Harry Connick, Jr. has a new Christ... » | All I know is that if that was the heater that jus... » | A Perfect Sunday » | I was supposed to meet my counselor at Starbuck's ... » | flowers of death, frogs, and other misc. thoughts ... » | Fall Into... » | I love Zydeco » 

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 

Two Hilarious Things

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to a movie last night. As I was waiting for it to be time for me to leave to go to the theater, I was trying to help Lis pick out a movie to watch. I suggested the movie "Hoodwinked," because I think it's insanely witty and clever. She was on the floor in front of the TV, looking at the row of DVDs. I said, "It's between The Emperor's New Groove and Scorpion King." After I said that she just looked at me rather strangely. I was referring to the location of the DVD. She thought I was describing the type of movie....which is hilarious if you've seen either The Emperor's New Groove or the Scorpion King. Although realistically, the Rock would probably be the perfect one to be Yzma's next boy after Kronk. It actually still makes me kind of chuckle out loud when I think about a cross between those two movies. Ahhh... good times.

As for the second hilarious thing, Victoria's Secret should totally pay me for all the advertising I do here for their lotions (specifically Love Spell, though Vanilla Lace to a lesser degree). There is one family that has a boy and a girl in our school. The boy is 5 (Korean age) and in the kindergarten. The girl is in second grade and comes to the afternoon classes. In the winter time Alice (her English name) has dreadfully dry hands, so I would always give her some lotion to put on her hands. Her mom asked me a couple months back where I got the lotion from, but we can't communicate...well, at all, and so I pulled up the website. HELLO...for a conversative Korean woman who can't speak English well, can you imagine what the VS website looks like when it first pops up? I quickly got us to the beauty section, but I think she lost interest when she realized it would have to be shipped from the US. I gave Alice a small bottle full of Love Spell awhile back also...these two kids are two of my favorites. So today their mother stops me and, through Joy, tells me she wants to order some lotion. I tell her that I still have quite a few bottles and can sell her some. She said she wanted THREE... which is a lot even for me. Anyway, we talked a bit more...ends up she wants the lotion for Thomas, the 5 year old BOY. I find that strange, but also somehow not surprising. The end result is that I'm going to sell her two of my bottles tomorrow (leaving me with 5 left over, so Jen you don't have to worry about going to VS for me before I come back to the States), and then she wants me to help her order FIVE more bottles. For her son! Thomas is the boy who always comes up and smells my hands and goes, "Yummy!" and then looks at my eyes and says in Korean "Sparkle, sparkle" (referring of course to the glittery eye shadow I often wear). He's also the boy that does the monkey hug on me when he's tired. He's adorable. And he's going to smell yummy soon as well. I find it a little strange that one of my students and I will be wearing the same scent...but whatever. It's Korea. It works here.

Well, I guess I can understand that for a younger boy. I guess it becomes a little weird for me if he's still using the lotion in his teens.

What's considered effeminate by men in Korea?

^ Not much.

Seriously.

It's confusing at first...quite a few times in my first few months here I thought there was an abundance of homosexuality. Then I realized that's just how they are. Guys are WAY touchier here (with other guys) than Western guys. They are more emotional. They are forever carrying their girlfriend's purses. One of the most famous Korean stars is this man that looks disturbingly like a woman. I'll try to find a picture of him to post. Trust me, it's icky.

As long as I don't have to wade into Victoria's Secret during the holiday shopping season again, I don't care. I love you, but please, please PLEASE don't make me do that again. :)

i am sooooooooooooo far behind with your post...i took a blog-break...things are better here...no health insurance, so i can't get sick or slip or fall or break anything...i'm working in real estate now...funny how life is...take care! I love and miss you!

PS..by the way I have a good friend in Thailand now...for a year.

You have been in that country entirely too long if this just does not COMPLETELY weird you out. who the heck orders victoria secret (5 bottles no less) for thier 5 yr old little boy. If that's not setting your kid up for some fun times later, I don't know what is...

Post a Comment

Kimchi, not for me is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health